Food safety is one of the most underestimated issues throughout the globe. According to the World Health Organization, about 600 million globally are falling ill eating unhygienic food items; 420 000 deaths are recorded every year.
It is vital to understand the food safety situations throughout the globe before devising a plan to tackle the issue. Governments of different countries have rules set in place that are prerequisite if one wishes to open an eatery. Understanding and abiding by these rules are mandated on all food handlers.
The World Health Organization has issued five keys to safer food, and it is ideal for every individual to follow these key points religiously:
- Keep clean
- Separate raw and cooked food
- Cook thoroughly
- Keep food at safe temperatures
- Use safe water and raw materials
With many multinational food producers in the market, WHO urges them to make amends to their production process; ensuring improved quality food production.
- Build and maintain infrastructures such as laboratories to continually test their products against food safety risks.
Fostering collaboration among public, animal and agricultural health will help in better understanding and improving the overall quality of food from the start till the end.
- Produce and utilize as many local produces to improve food intake quality. WHO also have five keynotes that will help in growing safer fruits and vegetables.
- Befriend personal hygiene
- Using safe water for irrigation
- Protect the field from fecal contamination
- Using treated manure
- Storing harvest equipment clean and dry
Imparting food safety knowledge on food handlers is also an important task to ensure that the end product reaches customers with no hazard. It is essential for food handlers to be in the know of the food they use.
Each country has a food protection course that is mandated by law. All food handlers have to complete these courses to receive a food handler’s certificate. Many states employ food handlers only if the food protection course is completed.
These food handling courses will train all candidates in ensuring food safety to prevent the spread of any virus or infection due to unsafe food handling or unsanitary storage practices. Also, customers are more aware of the dangers of not abiding by food safety and hence prefer eateries that are committed to delivering premier standards in food safety.
There are many food protection courses that can be completed online these days. These courses will equip learners in:
- Understanding how to follow safe food handling practices and train the same to fellow food handlers.
- Good understanding of cross-contamination of food and practices to prevent it.
- Ability to practice appropriate cleaning and sanitizing procedures.
Food safety is a critical issue that has to be taken seriously by all individuals. Overall, food safety can be improved throughout the globe only when the food safety criteria are rigorously followed right from the cultivation to the time it is served to customers at an eatery.